Subclass 189 -Skilled Independent Visa Program
The Visa is based on points system for migrants who have in demand skills. The visa is by invitation and allows the applicant permanent work and study anywhere in Australia.
What is the points based system?
This Visa is based on points, so in general, the higher the points you can gain, the better.
You need to gain at least 65 points to be invited for this visa. An expression of interest needs to be lodged in Skill Select, which will give an estimate of your points.
After assessment and if you’re given an invitation, the invitation will communicate the points required to assess the application. When you prepare your application, ensure that you have adequate evidence to support your claims. The government Home Affairs website also has a points calculator which you can use to calculate your points.
What are some of the specific criteria I must meet to apply for the 189 visa ?
- Your occupation must be on the skilled occupation list
- Pass the skills assessment
- Be invited to apply
- Qualify with the points test, at least 65 points
- Be aged between 18 – 44 years old
- Have a competent level of English
- Meet the Australian health and character requirement
For this Visa, you don’t need a work or relative sponsor.
What is the process of applying for a 189 Visa ?
- Submit an expression of interest through Skill Select to start your application
- Wait for the invitation from Department of Home Affairs for the visa application
- Provide the necessary documents to support your expression of interest and prove you’re eligible
- Documents such as proof of identity, English results, partner and dependent documents, skill assessment documents, expression of interest documents.
Apply for the Visa
- Once you receive the invitation, you have 60 days to apply for this Visa.
- You will be notified once your Visa is received, and if you’re granted a bridging Visa
- If refused, you will be notified why, however, no refund is available.
- If approved, you will be given a Visa number, start date, and any visa conditions.